Sep 3, 2014

Mourning dreams and fantasies

Shortly after my mother passed away (I cannot tell whether days or weeks had passed), I had a dream that started as a regular sleeping dream:
suddenly she was alive again, in her own house. She wasn't a ghost. She was just... back, and in a satisfying state of health. I had to "rationalize" it quickly, before and after I woke up! We found ways to hide her while keeping her comfortable...
It turned into a nice, recurring bedtime dream or fantasy for a little while. Then it got old, or I felt guilty, I can't remember. I forgot all about it, and I never told a soul until now.
There was another disconnected dream in which she suddenly appeared to me, alive, but this one was in an outdoors setting (at a country horseshow, of all places! with white fences!)
What about Dad? I loved my Dad to pieces, but nothing, no strange dream that I can recall.

It all came back to me recently after I found myself in the dozing-dream or half-waking fantasy of a "meaningful conversation while stranded on a desert island" with someone else who passed away recently (while I wish I could ever have had such a conversation with that person, the dream was a clear attempt at self-therapy...). By the way, I wonder how common the desert island fantasy is!